So recently I’ve hit this problem twice and while I’ve solved it to a satisfactory degree, I can’t help but feel there might be a more elegant solution. In this post I’m going to outline the problem as well as my solution with the intention of either starting a discussion or perhaps helping someone else who is facing the same problem.
So the issue is simple, I have a object with a reference transform X and I also have a set of N target transforms. I need to find the target transform in the set that is the closest in both position and orientation to the reference transform X. Visually this can be represented below:
Now obviously this is an error minimization problem but the trick is to represent the error in orientation and position in a way that we don’t bias the overall error in favor of one or the other (i.e. both orientation and position are equally important). In lay mans terms, we need to reduce the error of the orientation and position to the same range. So let’s start with treating the two components of the transform individually.
Orientation is simple enough, we define a “forward” axis for our transform and using the reference transform as a starting point, we calculate the angle needed for the shortest rotation between the reference transform’s forward axis and the target transform’s forward axis. Since we are looking for the shortest rotation, these deltas are in the range or [-180, 180] which allows us to calculate an error metric for the orientation to be the absolute value of the delta angle divided by 180 degrees which results in a 0-1 error metric where 0.0 is a perfectly matching orientation and 1.0 is the worst possible error.
Position is the problem, it’s easy enough to calculate the distance between the reference and each target but those distances cant be easily compared to the orientation error since they are not in a 0-1 range. And this is where I starting feeling like what I did was slightly in-elegant. So solve the problem, I did the dumbest thing I could think of. I simple calculated the max distance between any of the target transforms and the reference transform. I then used this as my error scale and for each target transform, divided it’s distance to the reference transform by the worst possible error. This reduces the position error to a [0,1] range where 0.0 is a perfectly matching position and 1.0 is as for the orientation case the worst case scenario.
Since I now have two 0-1 error values, it is relatively trivial to find the best target transform relative to the reference transform, it also easily allows me to bias towards orientation or position by applying a 0-1 bias weight, where 0 is only using orientation and 1.0 is only taking position into account.
This seems to solve the problem well enough for me but I’m curious if there isn’t a different/better solution. Something just feels off for me with my approach.
One thought on “Comparing Game Object Transforms”
Melee system? I had a similar problem when trying find the best target in a cone for projectile targeting/homing purposes.
My first approach was to compute a score for each target and choose the target with the highest score. The target list was already filtered by discrete criteria such as faction/allegiance, inside-cone, line-of-sight, disabled/no-pilot/not-a-threat etc (though for optimization purposes, doing line-of-sight after score computation might be worthwhile).
Score was computed as a weighted sum of individual scores for
(1) normalized distance – I already had a cone max distance for normalizing the distance term
(2) the angle between the vector to the candidate and the cone axis.
So final_score = distance_weight * distance_score + angle_weight * angle_score.
Note that using a scaled + biased dot product of the angle to the cone vector as your angle_score introduces weird distortions as you are in cosine-angle-linear, not angle-linear – I thought this might be ok as a first attempt, but in play testing it appears to be kinda weird prioritizations occasionally so the angle_score involved acos to get it into radians, which was then normalized as you describe (athough in my solution, 1.0 represented an angle of 0.0 and 0.0 represented an angle of 180 degrees off the cone axis)
Even with that though, I still had some weird edge cases around having a target prioritized that is very close but at a wide enough angle that the projectile would not be able to hit it at its current turn rate (for homing projectiles). I solved this by adding a turn_score into the weighted sum.
I now use:
turn_score = dot(vec_to_target, cone_axis) / dot(vec_to_target, vec_to_target);
It’s essentially cos(angle from cone_axis) / distance_to_target , for unnormalized vec_to_target and I found it works pretty well despite the fact that it is cosine-angle-linear. In fact, this was basically sufficient for playtesting my projectiles that I set the weights for distance and angle score to zero and just used this term.
Ultimately though I think the real challenge here is in figuring out to combine the terms for such a score system, and then determining reasonable weightings. The turn_score I ended up with reflects a different way to combine angle and distance factors, and though I now use a weighting of 1.0, if it did need to be combined with other factors eg. some score of which is the largest threat, then the weightings could be determined by training them via particle-swarm-optimizations.